Irish Outlook

Tackling the Season

Ben Clapp, Writer

Tackling the Season

Football Team Powers into Playoffs

The Irish fought out a hard season going 4-4. After losing many players last season, including eight seniors that were big parts of the team, the Irish worked hard in the offseason, the offseason work helped them get a better record than last season. The Irish this season have had some hard fought wins, such as beating Holdingford 25-15 at Holdingford. Which is the first time the Irish have beaten the Huskers on their field in 15 years. Senior Devin Puera said, “ Favorite play would be when I sacked the Holdingford quarterback in a key moment also doing the same to the Melrose quarterback,” said Puera.

The Irish offense this season has been pretty good this year after losing some key parts. Senior Ben Goelz said, “The offense has done good at times, but we have bit ourselves in the foot a lot with turnovers and penalties,”said Goelz.

The defense for the Irish this season has been helping out the Irish offense by holding the other team’s offense to low scoring.

The Irish have a few players going both ways. Playing offense and defense this year, Junior Brock Goelz said, “No it is not hard to go both ways but one game, at Rockford, we went hurry  up offense and I was a little tired after that,” said Goelz.

The defense this season has held up very nicely. Sophomore Jack Klug has lead the Irish this season, at the middle linebacker position. “Our defense lost some people in different parts of the defense, but we have had people step up and fill their shoes. We also hired a new defensive line coach to help out the defensive line. Our best game of the year was our first game scoring 27 and giving up 0 points,” said Klug.

The Irish have had a good year and are seeking their tenth straight section final.